Friday, January 21, 2011

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful"*

Walking over the Mass Ave bridge this morning was something akin to Rhett Butler walking into foggy nothing at the end of Gone with the Wind.

Visability looking across the Charles to Cambridge
(It's like the Nothing from The Neverending Story ate MIT.)

I looked a gift horse in the mouth this morning and have been regretting it ever since. I took the T into work because of the snow storm, and, after being in an overheated B line train for longer than I could handle, I made the decision that I would walk from Hynes to work. As I was leaving the station, having "refilled" my Charlie Card, I found in front of me a nearly empty #1 bus, just sitting at the corner of Mass Ave. and Newbury St. Instead of getting on it, I popped my headphones in my ears and trudged over the Mass Ave bridge to Cambridge.

Walking through the city during a snowstorm is one thing. When you are crossing an open bridge with nothing to block the wind, that is a whole other kettle of fish. Snow pelted me in the face, and my glasses completely fogged up. By the time I got to work, my exposed hair was soaked and frozen; it took me two and a half hours before I warmed up properly again.

I have learned my lesson. Tonight, I am taking the bus back into Boston.

*I wish that I had a delightful fire right about now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...