Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Long Time Ago, We Used to Be Friends

I don't think that TV programmers actually WATCH TV. My favorite TV show has just had the rug pulled out from under it by corporate types who think that people would prefer to watch a farmers' dating reality show. I am not even kidding.

It is utterly disappointing to learn of the cancellation of "Veronica Mars." It was a show with a smart and sassy young woman (if Veronica were my age, she SO would have had a subscription to Sassy) as the lead character, with a lot of fun pop culture references. Veronica Mars was a role model for young girls in an age where young girls have the Britneys, Parises and Lindseys of the world setting the trends. Veronica is bright, confident, friendly, helpful and law abiding (mostly anyhow.) Plus, she has a terrific relationship with her father... Heck, who cares about the young girls? I feel better watching Veronica save the day on Tuesday nights!

The CW could have been a real leader here, but instead they chose to give America the next Pussycat Dolls. (Because there aren't enough young women out there with body image issues.) There is a constant discussion about the "dumbing down" of America, and it looks like the future programming of the CW is following along in those footsteps. I hope that they are embarrassed. More importantly, I hope that they lose a lot of sponsorship because, clearly, the bottom line is all they care about. Supernatural fans, if I were you, I would be concerned because you and Smallville are all that's left before that network becomes All Reality, All the Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...