Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I Can't Drive 55

So, in my continuing transition to one musical medium (iTunes), I have been creating play list versions of mix tapes and cds that I made in the past. Between the new play lists I have created since moving over to iTunes and the ones I have recreated, I have 55 play lists, not including the ones that iTunes creates automatically.

This might seem a bit excessive. However, as I am 49 songs away from a 13,000 song library with music in 72 genres, I actually think that is a modest number of play lists. I need to get making more. Actually, the one I started to assemble tonight (with a "fall/back to school" theme), is rather crummy, and I need to rethink it. I want to incorporate more Sonya Cotton, an artist that my friend Mem introduced me to a few weekends ago.

Music has always been such an integral part of my life. I know I don't listen to albums the way I did when I was in high school and college (playing the album over and over while reading the liner notes so that I could absorb all of the lyrics and tweak every ounce of meaning out of them); at the same time, music isn't something that I just have playing in the background. Some music speaks to me more loudly than others, and I definitely need to be in certain moods to listen to particular artists.

I think that I always secretly (or perhaps not so secretly) desired to be a DJ. (I love you, Julie Kramer! Where did you go, Angie C?) I don't think that it would surprise most people that I thoroughly embraced the novel High Fidelity by Nick Hornby. I frequently think about the songs that would play on the soundtrack of my life. To blatantly rip off Mr. Hornby, here are the top 10 songs on the soundtrack of my life, in no particular order:
Under Pressure by David Bowie and Queen
Taxi Ride by Tori Amos
Come Fly with Me by Frank Sinatra
Never Let Me Down by Depeche Mode
London Calling by the Clash
Moonglow by Benny Goodman
Here Comes Your Man by the Pixies
Calypso by John Denver
The Tide is High by Blondie
Parklife by Blur

Bonus Song: Mellie's Coming Over by Letters to Cleo (for obvious reasons)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...