Friday, April 9, 2010

It's Planting Day!

This weekend, I am headed back to my home town to help with a big community garden project. The Friends of the Walnut Hill Park Rose Garden are helping to replace a public rose garden that was originally planted in 1929 and was plowed under during the 1990s in the city's one F.L. Olmstead park. (Living in Boston, I am lucky to enjoy a LOT of Olmstead parks. My personal favorite? The Arnold Arboretum.)

A new imagining of the rose garden was proposed last year and approved by the city's Parks and Recreation Department. After a year of planning and fund raising, tomorrow morning 150 volunteers (including Sister K and me) are going to plant 750+ bare root roses in the new rose garden in the park.

Did I mention that this venture is not being paid for by the city? The planning and labor is being done on a volunteer basis, and the costs are being covered through generous donations of people in the community. This is community building at its finest, especially when the entire community will get to benefit from this beautification project. I am really excited to be a part of it and really proud of everyone who worked on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...