Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"Curiouser and curiouser"*

On Sunday, RJ and I went to the Museum of Fine Arts to see the new Dale Chihuly exhibit, entitled Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass. I have been a fan of Chihuly's work since the 1990s when I saw an exhibit of his sea forms, but this was RJ's first exposure to his work. The intense colors of the glass is the big draw for me, but I also love the fluidity in his studio's work. As RJ noted, some of it really looks like it could be alive... and slithering.

The exhibit is a collection of really different kinds of pieces (baskets, mille fiore, chandeliers, sea forms) from the last 30+ years. I loved the flow of the exhibit; the MFA did a great job putting it together. And I was so pleased for the museum because there was a really great turnout for this on a sunny-ish Sunday afternoon with the Sox playing at home.

Now, normally, I would not have taken photos of an exhibit at a museum, but there were TONS of people with cameras openly taking pictures, so I threw my cares to the wind and started snapping away. (No, I didn't - I took these photos very surreptitiously because I thought I was going to get snagged by a vigilant docent.)
Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass
Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass
Chihuly: Through the Looking Glass

Gorgeous, don't you think? (And you don't have to pay extra to see it; it is part of the general admission!)

We also made our inaugural visit to the new Art of the Americas wing of the museum. We both loved it. In particular, I loved the room full of paintings of the early American presidents, but there is also a Winslow Homer room and a room full of Hudson River school painters. While plenty of old favorites were back up on the wall, like Childe Hassam's Boston Common at Twilight, there were a lot of new things to see, despite my frequent visits over the last 15 years. I definitely will be going back soon to spend more time there.


*quote from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...