Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"Kids!! I don't know what's wrong with these kids today!"

I was talking to two of my colleagues earlier today about random childhood incidents. And thinking about it some more after I got back to my desk, I realized, I definitely had a few moments ala Ramona the Pest.

There were several moments that were particularly memorable. These are my top five. I am sure there are more that my parents could suggest to add to the list, but these are the ones that stand out to me.

  • the time I put a significant amount of Johnson's Baby Oil in my hair. (Who doesn't want silky smooth hair? Just don't do it this way.) My mom was finally able to wash the last of it out with detergent a few days later.
  • the time I gave my little brother a bath in his little tub without taking off his clothes. (There are photos of this.) We both were soaked; we were both wearing wool.
  • the time I decided to give my eyebrows a "haircut". I was without eyebrows for several weeks. (There are no photos of me during this time period, thank God.)
  • the time that was playing Wonder Woman in my Wonder Woman Underoos and I was jumping off furniture in the basement when I fell, hit my face on the floor and chipped one of my brand new grown-up teeth. I was taken to my dad's dentist. Fortunately, it was on the bottom and isn't terribly noticeable now, but, at the time, it was a big deal. (Broken front teeth would become a running theme in my family.)
  • the time at the beach when I felt that no one was paying enough attention to me so I let go of the string on my brand new kite, which blew away across the beach. My aunt had to chase it down. She came back with it some time later; needless to say, I was in trouble.

  • As I said, I am sure that my parents would have a lot more to add to the list. As an adult, I can appreciate both the humor and the horror that those situations presented, and all I can say is, "Sorry, Mom and Dad." I have several friends with little kids, and I love to hear all the stories of THEIR antics and hijinks. Later this week, I will post some of the GOOD things that I did as a kid in the spirit of balanced reporting.

    1 comment:

    1. I've got one for you and this only happened last year. My son is 18 by the way. I use astringent to remove the makeup off my face, and one evening last year I thought the astringent felt especially strong, smelled funny too. Looked down and I had a bottle of finger nail polish remover in my hand. Talk about astringent!! I could have peeled the skin from my face with that one.

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...