Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme


This past weekend, I headed out to the Home Depot, where I picked up some herbs for this year's "Urban Herb Garden" that lives on the balcony outside my bedroom widow in a collection of flower boxes. The HD was having a big plant sale with huge racks of plants set up in the parking lot; there were a lot of wonderful things to choose from. Fortunately for my bank account, I didn't have a shopping cart so I was restricted to buying only what I could carry in my hands.

This year's garden includes sage (one plant came back from last year and I augmented with some new plants), basil, rosemary (grown over the winter from clippings from last year's plant), chives, dill and parsley. The last two I am attempting to grow from seed. We will see how that goes. The weather here has been really quite good, a proper spring, so I am hopeful that the seeds will sprout soon. The plants smell wonderful, and the nice breeze that we had earlier in the week carried their scent into my room as I sat reading on Sunday afternoon.

I also filled a separate flower box with seeds for wildflowers, and a whole bunch of them are starting to grow, mostly nasturtiums and cornflowers, but also some that I haven't been able to identify yet. I am hoping that the flowers will attract some bees this year. Bees are a good thing in a garden.

There is something so uplifting about having the herbs right outside my window. Of course, I look forward to using them in cooking over the summer, but it is just nice to watch them grow. Even though I love living in the city, sometimes I really miss having a proper outdoor space. My little Urban Herb Garden is my microcosm of suburban bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...